Monday, December 8, 2008

Should I call 911?

Preston was playing with a wiffle ball and got it stuck on his finger. I thought he was just kidding so I gave it a yank to get it off. He wasn't kidding, it was really stuck so I got some lotion and tried rubbing it on his finger so the ball would slide off. After a few failed attempts Preston started getting pretty worked up. His finger was swelling and he was starting to panic. I tried to cut it off with scissors but they wouldn't cut through the plastic. There happened to be some hedge trimmers in the laundry room but after one attempt with them I realized I would probably cut his finger off and make things worse. I usually stay pretty calm when the kids get hurt but for a moment I felt a little panicked and the thought crossed my mind "should I call 911?," but the thought of a fire truck showing up at my house to cut a ball off my sons hand was a little embarrassing to me. Luckily before I could finish that thought, Preston looked at me started laughing and said "I'm ok mom, I'm ok." The ball was still stuck and his finger was getting bigger but luckily I remembered Trent had some scissors from his EMT bag that could cut through just about anything. After a few more minutes of snipping we had the ball off! Preston still has his finger and I didn't have to bother any firefighters!





5 comments:

Angela said...

Sounds like you kept your cool. I freak out when the kids get hurt or stuck as the case may be. My first reaction is to grab the cell phone and call Trevor which probably drives him nuts because it's not like he can actually do anything from his office.

I had to laugh though when I noticed the baseball player on Preston's shirt. Looks like he's pretty into baseball ;)

Kimberly said...

Ahh, you could have called 911. I'm sure they were just bored reading a magazine somewhere, but this way you are the Hero!

Ashley Dickman said...

yeah... i think i would have gotten that panic feeling too... i would have called my 911 aka Jennie across the street!

Janna said...

scary! so glad you got it off. and i definitely would have panicked too!

Jennie's bunch said...

I'm so glad you got it off!! How did it get on there in the first place??:)