Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's Day 14 Years Ago


Fourteen years ago today was the best St. Patrick's Day ever. That's the day Trent proposed and put a ring on my finger. I of course had an idea it was coming but didn't know exactly when. We went out to lunch that day and I kind of had a feeling it might be it. I was kind of waiting for the waiter to bring something special. Nothing happened. As the afternoon went on I kept waiting, Trent kept getting strange phone calls but nothing happened. Then we drove up the South Fork Canyon and I thought maybe he's just going to do it now in the car, but still nothing. We got to the canyon went for a walk through some kind of tall reeds. I thought that was going to be it, but still nothing. I finally decided that I was jumping the gun and let myself relax. We continued walking around the park when I saw a rainbow over in the trees next to a picnic table. I thought a school had been doing some kind of project for St. Patrick's day and we decided to go look at it. We walked across a bridge to the rainbow and sat down. Then Trent got up and totally shocked me. He began singing a song that he had written to the tune from Somewhere Over The Rainbow, and at the end of the song was Angie will you be my wife. I was speechless. Then he told me to go look at the rainbow. We walked over and at the end of the rainbow was a pot of gold with a ring in it. He took it out, got down on one knee, and asked if I would marry him and gave me the ring. I was beyond excited and of course said yes!!!

I was pretty impressed that he had put so much thought and effort into his proposal and never imagined it would be so creative and unique. I later found out that the calls he had been getting were from his parents because they were waiting for the jeweler to finish the ring. Once it was finished they hurried to the canyon and set everything up. They were even hiding in the bushes during the entire thing. Trent had also tracked down my dad, who was on a business trip, the night before and asked him for permission to marry me.

St. Patrick's day may just be a fun holiday for most but for me it is one of the most special days of the year!



9 comments:

Angela said...

That's a great story. See all the things I missed because I was the last to join the family?!

Jen said...

Very cute story. I love it!

Ashley Dickman said...

so fun! i love hearing proposal stories... love stories.. babies... you know... the ones with the happy endings?!:)

A Farmer's Wife said...

FABULOUS story!!! THank you for sharing this!!! VERY CUTE!!!

TEAM BOWMAN said...

thats cute happy proposal anniversary!

Kimberly said...

Fun story. Everyone loves an engagement story. Very immaginative, and the canyons are beautiful!

Kasey said...

That is so cute!!! What a guy! I love that your in-laws were in the bushes. Wouldn't you love a picture of that?

Jennie's bunch said...

What a great memory!! This must be one of your favorite holidays!!!:)

Janna said...

I missed this post somehow. What a cool story! I love that the jeweler was still finishing up the ring and that his parents were hiding in the bushes!!! How cute.